Journal issues: 3/2015
Language: (RU, EN)
30 June, 2015
HARDWARE AND PROCESS OPTIMIZATION OF PRODUCTION UNIT FOR CONCENTRATING ISOPROPYL BENZENE HYDROPEROXIDE IN THE COURSE OF PHENOL PRODUCTION BY CUMENE PROCESS
RSC “Applied Chemistry”, St. Petersburg, the Russian Federation
National Mineral Resources University, St. Petersburg, the Russian Federation
This paper discusses one of the stages of cumene process of phenol and acetone production, namely distillation of an intermediate compound, isopropyl benzene hydroperoxide. Said stage is the most challenging as to the process safety. Isopropyl benzene hydroperoxide is an oily liquid prone to spontaneous explosive decomposition. Risk of decomposition of this product during the distillation process depends on such parameters as temperature, pressure and its concentration in the still. Currently the distillation is performed by means of a series of two or three columns to fulfill two requirements: required separation efficiency and sufficient vacuum in the stills of the columns to prevent thermal decomposition of the isopropyl benzene hydroperoxide (IPB HP). To maintain vacuum in the two-column system, two multistage steam jet injectors have to be used, leading to high energy consumption. We’ve performed an analysis of the process parameters and safety requirements of IPB HP concentrating process and determined the decomposition-safe pressure-temperature thresholds depending on the concentration of hydroperoxide. Simulation of a IPB HP unit using algorithsms of optimization of single-column distillation units has shown that the distillation process can be optimized into a single stage using regular packing, which is characterized by much lower flow resistance compared to other types of contact devices. Such optimization leads to significant energy saving and increased process safety. The proposed technical solutions can be implemented on existing phenol and acetone production installations without significant capital expenditures.
- Ananieva E.A., Egorova E.V., Larin L.V. Current and prospective processes of phenol production // Vestnik MITHT. 2007. v. 2, № 2. pp. 27-43. [in Russian].
- Beschastnov M.V. Sokolov V.M., Katz M.I. Accidents in chemical industry and their prevention M: “Chemistry”. 1976. 368 p. [in Russian].
- Zakoshanskiy V.M. Phenol and acetone: an analysis of technologies, kinetics and key reaction mechanisms. SPb: Khimizdat, 2009. 608 p. [in Russian].
- Leontiev V.S. Optimization of single-tower rectification units for chemical technologies and oil processing [e-print] // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2012. № 2. pp. 255-264. Available at http://www.ogbus.ru/authors/Leontiev/Leontiev_4.pdf
- Leontiev V.S. Innovations in development of high-intensity mass exchangers for refurbishment of distillation units [e-print] // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2012. № 1. pp. 178-186. Available at: http://www.ogbus.ru/authors/Leontiev/Leontiev_1.pdf
- Dmitrieva G.B., Berengarten M.G., Kaganetal A.M. Comparison of plate and packing contact devices in column units // Chemical, oil and gas engineering. 2007. № 1. pp. 9-10. [in Russian].
- Ratovskiy Yu.Yu., Lebedev Yu.N., Chekmenev V.G. Vakupak and Kedr packing for vacuum columns of crude distillation units// Chemistry and technology of fuels and oils. 2004. № 1. pp. 55-56. [in Russian].
- Regular packing for absorption an distillation processes. Sulzer catalog, 22.13.06.40-IX05-1000. 28 p. [in Russian].
- Packing of mass exchange columns/B.A. Sokol et. al. Ed. by D.A. Baranov M.: Galleya-print, 2009. 358 p. [in Russian].
- Leontiev V.S., Romanova N.A. Calculation of detention of liquid phase in columns with elastic regular packing and multipoint distributors [e-print] // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2012. №3. pp. 241-248. Available at: http://www.ogbus.ru/authors/Leontiev/Leontiev_6.pdf
- Leontiev V.S., Romanova N.A. Calculation of transient processes in distillation columns with regular packing under step changes of concentration in supply stream [e-print] // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2012. №3. pp. 249-254. Available at: http://www.ogbus.ru/authors/Leontiev/Leontiev_7.pdf
acetone; cumene hydroperoxide; energy-saving; isopropyl benzene; phenol; regular packing; work safety; ацетон; безопасность работы; гидроперекись изопропилбензола; изопропилбензол; регулярные насадки; фенол; энергосбережение DOI 10.17122/ogbus-2015-3-411-433 References to this article (GOST) Leontiev V.S., Romanova N.A. HARDWARE AND PROCESS OPTIMIZATION OF PRODUCTION UNIT FOR CONCENTRATING ISOPROPYL BENZENE HYDROPEROXIDE IN THE COURSE OF PHENOL PRODUCTION BY CUMENE PROCESS // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2015. №3. P.411-433. URL: http://ogbus.ru/issues/3_2015/ogbus_3_2015_p411-433_LeontievVS_ru_en.pdf