DEVELOPING THE EPC VALUE CHAIN IN THE UPSTREAM OIL & GAS SECTOR IN MIDDLE EAST
This paper focuses on the strategic opportunities available in the upstream oil and gas sector. It analyses the current market structure in the Middle East and examines options for companies active in the mid-stream and down-stream sectors within the region to develop new business in the upstream sector. This paper is essentially a corporate case study. The methodology adopted combines a literature review with sampling and information gathering approaches to a relatively small number of key industry players and opinion formers. There are some specific low risk opportunities for medium sized engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) companies in upstream off shore area with some common options for organic growth and acquisition. Key acquisitions may form part of an overall growth strategy and companies pursuing this route need to prepare accordingly, especially for post acquisition integration. This case study article draws upon qualitative primary data from a relatively small number of key people. It will have influenced the conclusion of this research. A broader study is recommended, however, this research has been conducted in areas that are highly sensitive for companies and in which relatively small numbers of key decision makers hold major influence.
- Al Naqvi. Reinventing EPC Vlaue Chain – Getting Ready for What Lies Ahead. http://www.fuelchain.com/epc.pdf (accessed on 29th Jan 2009).
- Austin S.A., Thompson D.S. Solving Design Problems to add value // Proceedings of W096 – Architectural Management, Value through Design conference, 14-15 September 2001, University of Reading, UK, CIB.
- Business Finance, Dec 2008, Vol. 14, Issue 12, pp. 14-15.
- Chandler, A.D Jr. 1962. Strategy and Structure: chapters in the history of the industrial enterprise, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Cherns A.B, Bryant D.T. Studying the Client’s Role in Construction Management // Construction Management and Economics, 1984, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 177-184.
- Stephen R. Covey. Principle Centered Leadership. Simon & Schuster, New York, 1991.
- Anna Thibodeaux. Ready for the Challenge? // Downstream Today, 23 Dec 2008, http://www.downstreamtoday.com/news/article.aspx?a_id=14396 (accessed on 29 December 2008)
- John Egan. Rethinking Construction. Report of the Construction Task Force, DETR, London, 1998.
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt. Building theories from case study and research // Academy of Management Review, 1989, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 532 – 550.
- Kawach N. Global crisis hits downstream oil projects // Emirates Business, 25 November, 2008. https://www.zawya.com/ (accessed on 12th December 2008).
- Geoffrey Briscoe, Andrew Dainty. Construction supply chain integration: an elusive goal // An International Journal, 2005, Vol. 10, No: 4, pp. 319 – 326.
- Peter Gibbon, Jennifer Bair, Stefano Ponte. Governing global value chains: an introduction // Economy & Society, August 2008, Vol. 37. No. 3, pp 315 – 338.
- Christine M. Harland, Richard C. Lamming, Paul D. Cousins. Developing the concept of supply strategy // International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 1999, Vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 650 – 674.
- John S.H., O&G Deals Annual Review. Pricewater House Coopers, 2007 http://www.pwc.com/ogdeals/
- Keon W.J., Health Information Technologies: A catalyst for Change // Healthcare Quarterly, 2(2) 1998, pp. 77 – 77.
- Kentz, EPC Project Management Manual, 2008.
- Koskela L. Lean Production in Construction, in Alarcon, L. (Ed), Lean Construction, A.A. Balkema Publishers, Rotterdam, 1997. pp. 1 – 9.
- Lockamy A., Smith W.I. Managing the supply chain: A value based approach / 40th International Conference Proceedings: Target breakthrough ideas, APICS, Washington, DC, 1997, pp. 162–167.
- Michael E. Porter, Competitive Advantage: Creating and sustaining Superior Performance. Free Press, 1998, 432 p.
- Report, (2008), Emirates Business, November 25th.
- Saxon Richard. The industry 'formally knows as construction': an industry view of the Fairclough Review // Building Research & Information, 2002, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 334 – 337.
- Thomson D.S., Austin S.A., Root D.S., Thorpe A., Hammond J.W. A problem-solving approach to value-adding decision making in construction design // Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 2006, Vol. 13 No. 1, pp. 43 – 61
- Merv Wilkinson, Merv Fogarty, David Melville. Organizational cultural change through training and cultural immersion // Journal of Organizational Change Management, 1996, Vol. 9 No.4, pp. 69–81.
- Tim Kitchin, Tim Wilson. Unlocking Value // Brand Strategy, July 2005.
engineering procurement and construction; oil and gas; value chain References to this article (GOST) Madhu Pillai, Eric Sandelands, Ganesh Ashokan DEVELOPING THE EPC VALUE CHAIN IN THE UPSTREAM OIL & GAS SECTOR IN MIDDLE EAST // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2010. №2. URL: http://ogbus.ru/eng/authors/Pillai/Pillai_1.pdf