Extraction of phenol from aqueous solutions by methyl tert-butyl ether
Extraction of phenol from aqueous media, including wastewater, is a very important problem nowadays, due to both high toxicity of phenols and absence of the extractants for their recovery satisfying the requirements for extraction capacity, accessibility, cost, fire and explosion hazards, and so on. The article considers the application of different extractants for removal of phenol from aqueous solutions and waste water. The efficiency of the extractants is discussed in relationship with the processes of their regeneration, chemical stability and other technological parameters. It is shown that methyl-tert-butyl ether (MTBE) can be an effective phenol extractant as an alternative to the solvents applied. The authors identified a phenol distribution constant from aqueous solutions in MTBE, which proved to be significantly higher than that of aliphatic ethers and close to butyl acetate. The dependency of phenol extraction degree on the volume ratio between organic and aqueous phases as well as on the number of extraction stages was established. A phenol salting-out constant was identified in the process of its extraction from aqueous solutions by MTBE. The effect of LiCl, NaCl, KCl, CaCl2 on phenol distribution constants in MTBE was studied. It was established that calcium chloride has maximum salting-out effect with phenol distribution constants significantly increasing in MTBE. The perspectiveness of methyl tert-butyl ether application for phenol extraction from aqueous solutions is shown.
- Grushko Ya. M. Harmful organic compounds in industrial waste waters. L.: Chem., 1982. 214 p. [in Russian].
- Smolskaya E. L., Stoyanov E. S., Egutkin N. L. Intermolecular interaction of p-nitrophenols with butyl acetate according to IR-spectroscopy // Russian Chemical Bulletin USSR. 1991. №3. P. 593-599. [in Russian].
- Korenman Ya. I. Extraction of phenols. Gorky: Volgo-vyatskoye book publish.house, 1973. 216 p. [in Russian].
- Korenman Ya. I., Selmanshchuk N. N. Extraction concentration of impurities of organic compounds from nature and waste waters // Journal of Analytic Chem. 1988. V. 153, Is.4. P. 592. [in Russian].
- Kharlampovich G. D., Churkin Yu. V. Phenols. M.: Chem., 1974. 376 p. [in Russian].
- Egutkin N. L., Malaya I. P., Nikitin Yu. E. Extraction of hydroquinone by sulfoxide // Journal of Applied Chem. 1984. V.6, № 10. P. 2390-2392. [in Russian].
- Egutkin N. L., Malaya I. P., Nikitin Yu. E. Research of extraction of resorcin by sulfoxide // Journal of Applied Chem. 1986. V.59, №6. P. 1288-1291. [in Russian].
- Torgov V. G., Drozdova M. S., Lisitskaya R. P., Rebristaya V.V., Korenman Ya.I. Concentration of phenol from water-salt solutions by tri-n-octylphosphine oxide // Journal of Applied Chem. 1992. V.65, № 6. P. 1421-1424. [in Russian].
- Torgov V. G., Drozdova M. S., Lisitskaya R. P., Rebristaya V.V., Korenman Ya.I. Extraction of phenol by tri-n-octylphosphine oxide from water-soluble // Journal of Applied Chem. 1992. V. 66, №1. P. 218-220. [in Russian].
- Smolskaya E. L. Extraction of hydraorganic compounds by oxygen-containing solutions from water-soluble. Diss.cand. of chem.siences. Ufa, 1992. 182 p. [in Russian].
- Patent 2116974, Russia. Galeev R.G. and other. Method of purification of waste waters from phenol; Statement 08.10.98; Was published 10.08.98. Russian Patent base: http://www.fips.ru/cdfi/fips.dll. [in Russian].
- RamanaraoM. V., TelkikarV. S., Husain A. Extraction of dilute aqueous phenolic solutions with n-butyl acetate and isoamil acetate // Indian J. Technol. 1967. V. 5, № 11. P. 343-345. [in Russian].
- Gureev A.A., Korotkov I.V., Levinson G.I., Baranova G. N. Use of ethers as high octane gasoline components // Chemistry and Technology of fuels and oils. 1983. №6. P. 6-8. [in Russian].
- Zanozina I.I., Cherentaeva V.V., Zanozin I.Yu. // Petroleum refining and petrochemistry. 2000. №10. P. 33. [in Russian].
- Krestov G.A., Novoselov N.P., Perelygin I.P. and other. In the book Ionic salvation (Solution of problems in chemistry). M.: Science, 1987. 320 p. [in Russian].
- Rozen A.M. // Chem. industry. 1981. № 11. P. 694. [in Russian].
- Raykhart K. Solvents and effects of interfaces in organic chemistry. M.: «Mir», 1991. 763 p. [in Russian].
distribution constant; extraction; methyl tert-butyl ether; phenol; salting-out.; высаливание.; константа распределения; метил-трет-бутиловый эфир; фенол; экстракция DOI 10.17122/ogbus-2014-1-206-219 References to this article (GOST) N.L. Egutkin, A.M. Syrkin. Extraction of phenol from aqueous solutions by methyl tert-butyl ether // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2014. №1. P.206-219. URL: http://ogbus.ru/eng/authors/EgutkinNL/EgutkinNL_1e.pdf