Journal issues: 2/2011
1 March, 2011
Study of heat treatment and cooling rate of oil mixtures transported by “Kumkol-Karakoin-Barsengir-Atasu” pipeline
Transportation of Kazakhstan waxy crude oil mixtures through long distance pipelines, such as “Kumkol-Karakoin-Barsengir-Atasu” entails various difficulties due to its composition. One of the most effective way to improve rheology is using heat treatment. The objective of this work is to investigate the effect of heat treatment on the rheology of oil mixtures and wax deposition tendenc in addition, to studying the influence of cooling rate and kinetics of wax crystallisation in accordance to the JMAK (Johnson-Mehl-Avrami-Kolmogorov) theory. The results indicate that increasing the value of heat treatment leads to improvment of rheological parameters of oil mixtures and a decrease in wax deposition but no change to the shape of crystals.
- Matzain A., Apte M.S., Zhang H.Q., Volk M., Brill J.P., Creek J.L. Investigation of paraffin deposition during multiphase flow in pipelines and wellbores – Part1: Experiments. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 2002, Vol. 124, Issue 3, pp. 180-186. DOI:10.1115/1.1484392
- Ribeiro F.S., Mendes P.R.S., Braga S.L. Obstruction of pipelines due to paraffin deposition during the flow of crude oils. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1997, Vol. 40, Issue 18, pp. 4319-4328. DOI:10.1016/S0017-9310(97)00082-3
- Burger E.D., Perkins T.K., Striegler J.H. Studies of wax deposition in Trans Alaska pipeline. Journal of Petroleum Technology, 1981, Vol. 33, Issue 5, pp. 1075- 1086. DOI: 10.2118/8788-PA
- Becker J.R. Oilfield paraffin treatments: hot oil and hot water compared to crystal modifiers. Paper SPE 63123 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, 1-4 Oct. 2000, Dallas, Texas. DOI: 10.2118/63123-MS
- Sarmento R.C., Ribbe G.A.S., Azevedo L.F.A. Wax blockage removal by inductive heating of subsea pipelines. Heat Transfer Engineering, 2004, Vol. 25, Issue 7, pp. 2-12.
- Wang L.S., Flamberg A., Kikabhai T. Select the optimum pour point depressant. Hydrocarbon Processing, 1999, Vol. 78, Issue 2, pp. 59-62.
- Machado C.L.A., Lucas F.E. The influence of vinyl acetate content of the poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) (EVA) additive on the viscosity and the pour point of a brazilian crude oil, Petroleum Science and Technology, 2001, Vol. 19, Issue 1&2, pp. 197-204. DOI: 10.1081/LFT-100001234
- Sadeghazad A., Ghaemi N. Microbial prevention of wax precipitation in crude oil by biodegradation mechanism. Soc. Pet. Eng., 2003, SPE 80529.
- Mendell J.L., Jessen F.W. Paraffin inhibition and flow improvement in crude oil systems, Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 1972. Vol. 11, Issue 2, pp. 60-66. DOI: 10.2118/72-02-04
- Brown J.M., Dobbs J.B. A novel exothermic process for the removal of paraffin deposits in hydrocarbon production. Proceedings of the Forty-Sixth Annual Southwestern Petroleum Short Course, Apr 21-22 1999, Lubbock, TX, United States
- Erickson D.D., Niesen V.G., Brown T.S. Thermodynamics measurement and prediction of paraffin precipitation in crude oil. Paper SPE 26604 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, 3-6 October 1993, Houston, Texas. DOI: 10.2118/26604-MS
- Li H., Zhang J. A generalized model for predicting non-Newtonian viscosity of waxy crudes as a function of temperature and precipitated wax. Fuel, 2003, Vol. 82, Issue 11, pp. 1387-1397. DOI: 10.1016/S0016-2361(03)00035-8
- Zuo J.Y., Zhang D.D., Ng H.J. An improved thermodynamic model for wax precipitation from petroleum fluids. Chemical Engineering Science, 2001, Vol. 56, Issue 24, pp. 6941-6947. DOI:10.1016/S0009-2509(01)00338-4
- J.S.T. dos Santos, Fernandes A.C., Giulietti M. Study of the paraffin deposit formation using the cold finger methodology for brazilian crude oils, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2004, Vol. 45, Issue 1-2, pp. 47-60. DOI:10.1016/j.petrol.2004.05.003
- Bello O.O., Teodoriu C., Reinicke K.M. An evaluation of the performance of selected wax inhibitors on paraffin deposition of Nigerian crude oils. Petroleum Science and Technology, 2006, Vol. 24, Issue 2, pp. 195-206. DOI: 10.1081/LFT-200044504
- Kolmogorov A. A statistical theory for the recrystallization of metals. Akad. nauk SSSR, Izv., Ser. Matem., 1937, Vol. 1, pp. 355-359
- Johnson W., Mehl R. Reaction kinetics in processes of nucleation and growth, Trans. AIME, 1939, Issue 135, p. 416.
- Avrami M. Kinetics of phase change. I. General theory. Journal of Chemical Physics, 1939, Vol. 7, Issue 12, p. 1103. DOI:10.1063/1.1750380
- Avrami M. Kinetics of phase change. II. Transformation-time relations for random distribution of nuclei. Journal of Chemical Physics, 1940, Vol. 8, Issue 2, p. 212. DOI:10.1063/1.1750631
- Avrami M. Kinetics of phase change. III. Granulation, phase change an microstructures, Journal of Chemical Physics, 1941, Vol. 9, Issue 2, p. 177. DOI: 10.1063/1.1750872
- Wardhaugh L.T., Boger D.V. Measurement of the unique flow properties of waxy crude oils. Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 1987, Vol. 65, Issue 1, pp. 74-83.
- Barry G.E. Pumping non-Newtonian waxy crude oils. J. Inst. Petrol, 1971, Issue 57, pp. 74-85.
- Lukman I., Westacott E.R., Xiongwei Ni. On the effect of wax content on paraffin wax deposition in a batch oscillatory baffled tube apparatus. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2008, Vol, 137, Issue 2, pp. 205–213. DOI:10.1016/j.cej.2007.04.018
JMAK theory; paraffin; rheology; wax deposition; парафинотложение; реология; теория JMAK (Джонсона-Мела-Аврами-Колмогорова) References to this article (GOST) D.S. Svetlichnyy, A.G. Didukh, T.K. Aldyarov, D.A. Kim, M. Nawrocki, A.A. Baktygali. Study of heat treatment and cooling rate of oil mixtures transported by “Kumkol-Karakoin-Barsengir-Atasu” pipeline // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2011. №2. P.427-437. URL: http://ogbus.ru/eng/authors/Svetlichnyy/Svetlichnyy_1.pdf