LINEAR EQUATIONS DERIVED FROM LABORATORY EXPERIMENTS TO DESCRIBE IMMISCIBLE DISPLACEMENT
An accurate analytical interpretation method to determine the Leverett-function (fw) and its derivative (fw’) from immiscible displacement data in core plugs is presented. Linear equations are developed to describe the displacement processes occurring before and after breakthrough. A quadratic function is introduced to represent the saturation distribution along the cores.
The relationships derived in this study can be used for analysis of core tests involving constant injection rates and constant pressure differences. The applicability, practicality, and accuracy of the new analytical method are verified by means of the experimental data obtained in the present study and by those reported in the literature.
- Leverett, M.C.: Capillary behavior in porous solids. Trans., AIME (1941) 142, 152-169.
- Buckley, S.E. and Leverett, M.C.: Mechanism of fluid displacement in sands. Trans., AIME (1942) 146, 107-116.
- Welge, H.J.: A simplified method for computing oil recovery by gas or water drive. Trans., AIME (1952) 195, 91-98.
- Sigmund, P.M., McCaffery, F.G.: An improved unsteay-state procedure for determining the relative permeability characteristics of heterogeneous porous media. SPEJ (1979) Febr., 15-28.
- Johnson, E. F., Bossler, D.P., and Naumann, V.O.: Calculation of relative permeability from displacement experiments. Trans., AIME (1959) 216, 370-372.
- Civan, F., Donaldson, E.C.: Relative permeability from unsteady-state displacements with capillary pressure included. SPE Formation Evaluation (1989) June, 189-193.
- Toth J.: A relativ permeabilitas-gorbe szamitasa a kiszoritasi folyamat meresi adataibol. Koolaj es Foldgaz (1982) 15(115), 4 102-105.
- Odeh, A.S., Dotson,B.J.: A method for reducing the rate effect on oil and water relative permeabilities calculated from dynamic displacement data. JPT (1985) Nov. 2051-2058.
- Islam, M.R., Bentsen, R.G.: A dynamic method for measuring relative permeability. J. Can. Pet. Tech. (1986) Jan.-Febr., 39-50.
- Batyky, J.P., McCaffery, F.G., Hodgins, P.K., Fisher, D.B.: Interpreting relative permeability and wettability from unsteady-state displacement measurements. SPEJ (1981) June, 296-308.
- Jones, S.C. and Roszelle, W.O.: Graphical techniques for determining relative permeability from displacement experiments. JPT (1978) May, 807-817.
- Toth J.: Determination of the Leverett- and relative permeability functions from waterflood experiments. Koolaj es Foldgaz (1995) 28(128), 3 65-71.
- Craig, Jr. F.F.: The reservoir engineering aspects of waterflooding. SPE of AIME, New York-Dallas (1971).
- Shen, C. and Ruth, D.W.: Impact of Inlet Boundary Conditions on the Numerical Simulation of One-Dimensional Coreflooding, JCPT, (January 1996), 35 (1), 19-24.
- Ucan, S., Civan, F. and Evans, R.D.: Uniqueness and Simultaneous Predictability of Relative Permeability and Capillary Pressure by Discrete and Continuous Means, JCPT, (April 1997) 36, (4), 52-61.