Journal issues: 1/2009
EVALUATION THE METHODOLOGIES OF ANALYZING PRODUCTION AND PRESSURE DATA OF HYDRAULIC FRACTURED WELLS IN LOW PERMEABILITY GAS RESERVOIRS
Production data analysis approaches have advanced significantly over the past few years. While many different methods have been published in the literature, there is no single method that yields the most reliable answer. Analyzing production history and pressure data of a hydraulically fractured gas well in low permeability reservoir can be an effective way to estimate the well and reservoir properties. However, fractured gas wells in low permeability reservoirs represent a challenge to petroleum engineers. This is because of the presence of wellbore storage, formation damage and Non-Darcy flow effects around wellbore. This study uses an advanced production analysis package, Topaze software, to evaluate the most applicable methods for use in determining well and reservoir parameters, and estimating the gas in place for hydraulically fractured gas wells in low permeability reservoirs. Field and simulated examples are presented to illustrate the evaluation of these methods. Results from this study show that modern methods such as Blasingame, Normalized Pressure Integral and the Flowing Material Balance are valuable analysis tools for production history and pressure data. Both pressure transient analysis and production analysis have been studied. The interaction of changing wellbore storage and Non-Darcy flow effects on the analysis of production and pressure data have been studied. Results show that using flowing pressure data in production analysis will be more representative and descriptive of the reservoir than using wellhead pressure data for gas well.
- Brian, F.T. Fundamental Principles of Reservoir Engineering, Textbook Series, SPE, Richardson, Texas (2002).
- Fetkovich, M.J., Decline Curve Analysis using Type Curve, JPT (June 1980), 1065.
- Arps, J.J., Analysis of Decline Curve, Trans., AIME (1945), 160, 228.
- Blasingame, T.A, McCray, T.L., Lee, W.J., Decline Curve Analysis for Variable Pressure Drop/Variable Flowrate System, Paper SPE 21513 presented at the SPE Gas Technology Symposium, January 23-24, 1991.
- Agarwal, R.G., Gardner, D.C., Kleinsteiber, S.W., and Fussell, D.D., Analyzing Well Production Data Using Combined Type Curve and Decline Curve Concepts, Paper SPE 57916 presented at the 1998 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, September 27-30.
- Blasingame, T.A., Johnston, J.L., Lee, W.J., Type-Curve Analysis Using the Pressure Integral Method, Paper SPE 18799 presented at the SPE California Regional Meeting held in Bakersfield, April 5-7, 1989.
- Mattar, L., and Anderson, D.M., A Systematic and Comprehensive Methodology for Advanced Analysis of Production Data, Paper SPE 84472 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Denver, Colorado. U.S.A., Oct. 5- 8, 2003.
- Lee, J., and Wattenbarger, R.A. Gas Reservoir Engineering, Textbook Series Vol.5, SPE, USA (1996).
- Cramer, D., Evaluating Well Performance and Completion Effectiveness in Hydraulically Fractured Low-Permeability Gas Wells, Paper SPE 84214 presented at the 2003 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Denver, Oct. 5-8.
- Cramer, D., Analyzing Well Performance in Hydraulically Fractured Gas Wells: Non-Ideal Cases, Paper SPE 90777 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Houston, Texas, U.S.A., September 25-29, 2004.
- Rushing, J.A., and Blasingame, T.A., Integrating Short-Term Pressure Buildup Testing and Long-Term Production Data Analysis to Evaluate HydraulicallyFractured Gas Well Performance, Paper SPE 84475 presented at Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Denver, Colorado, October 5-8, 2003.
- Michael, G., and Curtis, H.W. Well Performance, The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH), University of Trondheim.
- Horne, R.N. Modern Well Test Analysis, Petroway, Inc. (1995).
- Nashawi, I.S., Qasem, F.H., Gharbi, R., and Mir, M.I., Gas Well Decline Analysis Under Constant-Pressure Conditions, Wellbore Storage, Damage, and NonDarcy Flow Effects, Paper SPE 75526 presented at the SPE Gas Technology Symposium in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 30 April-2 May, 2002.
- Mattar, L., and Santo, M., How Wellbore Dynamics Affect Pressure Transient Analysis, Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, Vol. 31, Issue 2, February 1992.
- Alvarez, C.H., Holditch, S.A., and McVay, D.A., Effects of Non-Darcy Flow on Pressure Transient Analysis of Hydraulically Fractured Gas Wells, Paper 77468 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas, 29 September- 2 October 2002.
- Smith, M.B., Bale, A., Britt, L.K., Cunningham, L.E., Jones, J.R., Klein, H.H., Wiley, R.P., An Investigation of Non-Darcy Flow Effects on Hydraulic Fractured Oil and Gas Well Performance, Paper SPE 90864 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Houston, Texas, U.S.A., September 26-29, 2004.
- Dynamic Flow Analysis, Kappa Engineering, Inc. (2006).
- Palacio, J.C. and Blasingame, T.A., Decline Curve Analysis Using TypeCurves: Analysis of Gas Well Production Data, paper SPE25909, (1993)
- Topaze Help Manual and Brochure, Kappa Engineering Inc. http://www.kappaeng.com .
- Slider, H.C. Worldwide Practical Petroleum Reservoir Engineering Methods, Tulsa, Oklahoma (1983).
- Jacques, H., Automatic Decline-Curve Analysis of Wells in Gas Reservoirs, Paper SPE 77187 presented at the SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering Technology Symposium, December 2003.
- Fetkovich, M.J., et al., Decline Curve Analysis Using Type Curves – Case Histories, SPE (December 1987), 637-656.
- Anderson, D., and Mattar, L., Practical Diagnostics Using Production Data and Flowing Pressures, Paper SPE 89939 presented at the SPE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Huston, Texas, U.S.A., 26-29 September 2004.
formation damage; hydraulically fractured gas wells; Low permeability reservoirs; non-Darcy flow effect; pressure transient; wellbore storage effect; влияние ствола скважины; газовые скважины; ГРП; давление; КВД; не подчиняющиеся закону Дарси; низкопроницаемые пласты; повреждение пласта; потоки жидкости References to this article (GOST) Faisal S. Al-Reshedan, Ahamed Gawish, Hazim N. Dmour EVALUATION THE METHODOLOGIES OF ANALYZING PRODUCTION AND PRESSURE DATA OF HYDRAULIC FRACTURED WELLS IN LOW PERMEABILITY GAS RESERVOIRS // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2009. №1. P.. URL: http://ogbus.ru/eng/authors/Al-Reshedan/Al-Reshedan_1.pdf