Journal issues: 2/2009
24 December, 2009
PREDICTING THE BEHAVIOR OF WATER AND GAS CONING IN HORIZONTAL WELLS
Coning is a term used to describe the mechanism underlying the upward movement of water and/or the down movement of gas into the perforations of a producing well. Coning can seriously impact the well productivity and influence the degree of depletion and the overall recovery efficiency of the oil reservoirs. Delaying the encroachment and production of gas and water are essentially the controlling factors in maximizing the field’s ultimate oil recovery. Since coning can have an important influence on operations, recovery, and economics, it is the objective of this paper to develop a computer program for calculating the critical oil (or gas) rate to avoid coning of unwanted fluids into production wells and to predict the behavior of water and gas coning in horizontal wells.
- Ansari, R.Z., Johns, R.T. Steady-State Coning Solutions with Multiple Wells and Reservoir Boundaries. SPE paper 99896-MS, presented on SPE/DOE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA, 22-26 April 2006.
- Brown, K.E. The Technology of Artificial Lift Methods. Penn Well Publishing Company, Tulsa, OK (1984).
- Shirman, E.I., and Wojtanowicz, A.K. More Oil Using Downhole Water-Sink Technology: A Feasibility Study, SPE paper 66532 // SPE Production & Facilities, November 2000, 15(4), pp. 234-240.
- Tarek Ahmed. Reservoir Engineering Handbook. Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, Texas, 2000.
- Joshi, S. D. Augmentation of Well Productivity Using Slant and Horizontal Wells // J. of Petroleum Technology, June 1988, pp. 729-739.
- Papatzacos, P., Herring, T. U., Martinsen, R., and Skjaeveland, S. M.: Cone Breakthrough Time for Horizontal Wells, SPE paper 19822 // SPE Reservoir Engineering, August 1991, 6(3), pp. 311-318.
coning; critical rate; horizontal well; predicting; time to breakthrough; время прорыва воды в скважину; горизонтальная скважина; конусообразование; критический дебит нефти; прогнозирование References to this article (GOST) T.Sh. Salavatov, Al Sayed Ghareeb PREDICTING THE BEHAVIOR OF WATER AND GAS CONING IN HORIZONTAL WELLS // Electronic scientific journal "Oil and Gas Business". 2009. №2. P.. URL: http://ogbus.ru/eng/authors/Salavatov/Salavatov_1.pdf