SOME APPLICATIONS OF FREQUENCY DOMAIN 2.5-D EM NUMERICAL MODELLING USING HED SOURCES
Geophysical electromagnetic (EM) methods can be characterized with increasing role in applied geophysical research. Without modelling of EM fields a great deal of theoretical problems can not be solved and practical questions of measurements planning can not be answered. Assuming harmonic time dependent horizontal electric dipole (HED) sources parallel to the structural strike and perpendicular to it this paper deals with some applications and summarizes the results gained by 2.5-D frequency domain EM numerical modelling in the last years.
- Beke, B., Nagy, T., Nagy, Z. and Peterfai, B.: “CSAMT Mapping of EOR Procedure of Eger Hydrocarbon Reservoir in Hungary”. Abstracts and Papers of the Program of 34th Int. Geophysical Symposium, Vol. I. 67-76., Budapest, 1989.
- Dey, A. and Morrison, H.F.: “Resistivity Modelling for Arbitrarily Shaped Two-Dimensional Structures”. Geophysical Prospecting, 27, 106-136, 1979.
- Everett, M.E. and Edwards, R.N.: “Transient Marine Electromagnetics: The 2.5-D Forward Problem” Geophys. J. Int., 113, 545-561, 1993.
- Ficsor, L. and Petho, G.: “Applications and New Development Principles of EM Numerical Modeling”. microCAD’98 Abstract 69-71, Miskolc, 1998.
- Lee, K. H. and Morrison, H.F.: “Numerical Solution for the Electromagnetic Scattering by a Two-Dimensional Inhomogeneity”. Geophysics, 50, 466-472. 1985.
- Petho, G.: “Aspects of Finite Difference Modeling of the Electromagnetic Field of an Oscillating Electric Dipole”. Geophysical Transactions, 33. No. 2. 113-122. 1987.
- Petho, G. and Kaikkonen, P.: “2-D Numerical Modelling of Frequency Sounding Using Horizontal Electric Dipole Sources”. Abstracts of the 19th Meeting of the Nordic Association for Applied Geophysics, Oulu, 1993.
- Petho, G.: “CSAMT Numerical Modeling for 2-D Thermal EOR Monitoring”. Extended Abstract of Papers of the 6th Conference of EAPG, P547, Vienna, 1994.
- Petho, G., Kaikkonen, P. and Vanyan, L.L.: “Numerical Modeling for the Effect of a 2-D Seafloor Trench on Sea-Bottom EM Measurements Using Horizontal Electric Dipole Sources”. Geophysica, 31, 1-21, 1995.
- Petho, G. and Ficsor, L.: “Numerical and Computational Experience of Electromagnetic Problems Solved by Finite Difference Method”. microCAD’97 Abstract 101-104, Miskolc, 1997.
- Petho, G. and Ficsor, L.: “Distortion Effect of Elongated Surface Conductivity Inhomogeneities on CSAMT Measurements”. The 14th workshop on EM Induction in the Earth, 6.10., Sinaia, 1998.
- Petho, G. and Ficsor, L.: “New Results in FEM Numerical Modelling”. micro-CAD’99 under press, Miskolc13. Stoyer, C.H.: “Numerical Solutions of the Response of a Two-Dimensional Earth to an Oscillating Magnetic Dipole Source with Application to a Groundwater Fields Study”. Ph.D. Thesis, Pennsylvania State University, Philadelphia 1974.
- Stoyer, C.H. and Greenfield, R.J.: “Numerical Solutions of the Response of a Two-Dimensional Earth to an Oscillating Magnetic Dipole Source”. Geophysics, 41, 519-530, 1976.
- Takacs, E.: “Finite Difference Solution of the EM Field due to a Magnetic Dipole Source over a 2-D model.” Internal Report (in Hungarian), Miskolc, 1979.
- Unsworth, M.J., Travis, B.J. and Chave, A.D.: “Electromagnetic Induction by a Finite Electric Dipole Source Over a 2-D Earth”. Geophysics, 58, 198-214, 1993.
- Wayland, J.R., Lee, D.O. and Cabe, T.J. 1987.: “CSAMT Mapping of a Utah Tar Sand Steamflood”. Journal of Petroleum Technology, 345-352, 1987.