USE OF CONVENTIONAL DYNAMOMETER CARDS IN THE ANALYSIS OF SUCKER-ROD PUMPED INSTALLATIONS
A conventional dynamometer (the most common type of measuring device in rod pumping well analy-sis) records polished rod loads versus rod displace-ment during the pumping cycle on a plot called dynamometer card. Calculations requiring rod loads and displacements as input variables must rely on information retrieved from these cards. There are many conditions that prevent the pumping analyst from getting the right type and the desired amount of reliable measurement data from dynamometer cards. These include: (a) the card’s small physical size, (b) visual reading of the card can be insufficient, and (c) additional information not readily available from the card may also be needed.
The goal set forth in this paper is to present a novel technique for processing conventional dynamometer cards. The calculation method and the computer program developed for this purpose: (a) uses a simple computer configuration, (b) involves a simple, easy-to-learn procedure, (c) ensures the required accuracy, and (d) allows the retrieval of special information from the card that cannot be reached with other methods.
- Catalog of Analog Computer Dynamometer Cards. API Bul 11L2, 1st Ed., American Petroleum Institute, Dallas Texas, December 1969
- Recommended Practice for Design Calculations for Sucker Rod Pumping Systems (Conventional Units). API RP 11L 4th Ed. American Petroleum Institute, Washington D.C. 1988
- Specification for Pumping Units. API Spec. 11E, 15th Ed., American Petroleum Institute, Washington D.C. 1988
- Gray, C. R.: Dynamometer Analysis Using a Digitizer and an IBM PC. Paper SPE 15288 presented at the Symposium on Petroleum Application of Microcomputers of the SPE in Silver Creek, Colorado, June 18-20, 1986
- Takacs, G.: Torque Analysis of Pumping Units Using Dynamometer Cards. Proc. 36th Annual Southwestern Petroleum Short Course, Lubbock Texas, 1989 p. 366-76
- Takacs, G. - Papp, I.: Dynamometer Card Analysis Using Minicomputers. (in Hungarian) Koolaj es Foldgaz, March 1978, p. 65-73
- Ford, W. H. - Svinos, J. G.: Effective Application of Beam Pumping Diagnostics. Paper SPE 17444 presented at the SPE California Regional Meeting, Long Beach, California, March 23-25, 1988
- Svinos, J. G.: Successful Application of Microcomputers to Analyze Sucker Rod Pumps. Paper SPE 17789 presented at the SPE Symposium on Petroleum Industry Applications of Microcomputers, San Jose, California, June 27-29, 1988
- Takacs, G.: MODERN SUCKER-ROD PUMPING. PennWell Books, Tulsa Oklahoma, 1993